In today’s era, one of the most common problems faced by any user is data storage problem. So,”What happens when data storage is limited ?” This issue arises in Microsoft Outlook 2016 data file also. In Microsoft Outlook, all mailbox data items like emails, contacts, calendars, contacts, etc., are stored in a PST File format. Moreover, PST file is of two types i.e., ANSI (with 2 GB size limit) and UNICODE (with 20 GB to 50 GB size limit). Read to know how to Split PST File in Outlook 2016.
It depends on the version of Microsoft Outlook, which type of PST file will be created. As it is clear that there is a predefined size limit of PST file so, if the limit exceeds, then there will be chances of PST file corruption. Therefore, to overcome this issue, it is recommended to divide PST file into multiple parts. Hence, this blog will let users know how to split PST file in Outlook 2016 without any hassle.
Need to Split PST File in Microsoft Outlook 2016
There can be several possible reasons due to which one needs to split PST file of Outlook 2016. Major ones of them are discussed below:
1. Prevent PST File Corruption
A PST file has a certain limit to store the data. When the data exceeds the maximum limit or it is about to reach its maximum limit, PST file becomes more prone to corruption or data loss.
2. Improve Outlook Performance
When the PST file is on its maximum limit, the functionality of Outlook 2016 may get disturbed. Due to which it starts generating some issues like its slow down the Outlook. Therefore, it will be beneficial if a user divides large PST file into multiple parts and improves the Outlook performance.
3. Better Management of PST File Data
As all data of Outlook saves in one PST file so, to manage them all in an organized manner, one can sort the data year wise or folder wise. This can be easily done by splitting of PST file. In addition, it maintains the data in a proper way, which is easily understandable.
How to Split Outlook PST Manually?
There is no direct method to split PST file but it can be achieved by some other methods with the help of features like “Archive” and”Import and Export”.There are some methods given to achieve the splitting of PST File.
Method 1: Using Import and Export option to Split Large PST
Microsoft Outlook 2016 provides Import and Export option. It is a very convenient way to split PST into smaller parts. Just follow this steps carefully to split PST file manually:
1. Open Microsoft Outlook 2016.
2. Click on “File” tab, go to “Account Settings” and then again click the “Account Settings” from the drop-down menu.
3. A new window will appear. Go to “Data File” tab and then, click “ADD” button.
4. Another window opens up. Choose Open Outlook data file (.pst) option
5. Click on “OK” button.
6. Close the “Account Settings”
7. An “Import and Export Wizard” will open up on the screen.
8. Choose “Export to a file” option and then, click “Next” button.
9. Click on “Outlook Data File (.pst)” and then, click “Next” button.
10. Select the folder of your choice to export and click “Next” button.
11. Browse the new location to save the new PST file. Finally, click on “Finish” button.
12. Now, a new PST file is created on the desired location. You can easily browse and view it in Outlook 2016.
Method 2: Using “Archive” option to Split large PST.
- Open Microsoft Outlook 2016
- Select that PST folder from which you want to move the data into new PST file
- Open “File” tab and choose “Archive”
- A dialog box will appear, choose “Archive this folder and all subfolders” option
- From the list, choose the folder that you want to export
- There will be an option appear of Archive item older than. You can also choose this option based on your requirement
- Now, Browse the new storage location and name the new PST file. Click “OK” button
- A new PST file is created.
Method 3: Using “Move to new folder” option to Split Large PST
- Open Microsoft Outlook 2016.
- Then, go to “File”>> “New” >> “Outlook Data file”
- A dialog box of new Outlook file will appear. Choose “PST file” and then Click “Ok”
- A new window of “Create Microsoft Personal Folder” will appear on the screen.
- Name the new PST File and Select a folder, where you want to export this new file.
- Click on Edit, select “Move to Folder” option. After that, a new dialog box will appear and Select the “New” button.
- A New dialog box will appear have an option of Create New folder and name it
- Select the desired location and choose the “New Outlook PST file” and Select “OK”.
A new PST File is created.
Limitations of Splitting PST File Manually
While using manual solution to split PST file in Outlook 2016, a user might face some issues. For example, the manual is complex and takes a lot of time. Moreover, if any of the steps is not performed properly, there might be a loss of data. Therefore, a user is advised to look for an alternative to divide large PST file into multiple parts.
Quick Method to Split PST File in Microsoft Outlook 2016
As discussed above there are various limitations faced by the users while using the manual procedures. Therefore, a user can use some third-party tools available for the same. One of the best tools is Revove Split PST Tool, which is designed specially to divide large PST file into multiple parts. One can split any size PST file using this application. Here are some of the advanced features offered by the tool.
- It can split large PST Files according to date, size, year or folder wise.
- It can divide both types of PST files i.e. ANSI and UNICODE.
- MS Outlook installation is mandatory to split PST file.
- It can divide all mailbox elements like Emails, Contacts, Calendar etc.
- Supports all versions of Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Outlook.
To prevent data from corruption, splitting up PST file is very important. It offers various benefits such as improve storage space, enhances Outlook performance and prevent PST file data from corruption. Thus we have discussed various methods that one can implement by to split PST file in Outlook 2016 in a seamless manner.